Sunday, March 22, 2015

The Food Essay by Teagan Salter

When I first entered the cozy structure I was greeted by a big yellow lab. When I asked the server about the loud panting beast, she responded,  “it’s the owner’s dog.” It helped make the establishment feel more comfortable. This was surprising, he added a twist to the to the uniqueness that a lot of restaurants need. But just how would a restaurant inspector approve? I must say, it was very cool to have a dog wandering around my chair.

When my family sat down, I instantly noticed that there was some music playing. This was no ordinary music, this was EDM (electro dance music) it made this place feel a bit more energized. It was at a point where it was loud enough to enjoy and still engage in a conversation with other people at the table. The server appeared. I ordered the winter minestrone soup, along with a slice of homemade lemon cake. When the server left, I stared examining the decor around the restaurant. It was actually a very warm and welcoming.  

After ordering, minutes turned into more minutes, more minutes, turned into even more minutes. Ugh. My stomach is feeling the clock tick by too. Time just kept passing by until a hour struck. A few minutes later, I was greeted by a slice of lemon cake with chocolate icing, it was called Boston creme pie. I asked the server, “what’s this?” She responded,  “oh, we serve dessert before you eat the main meal.” I was shocked. I’ve never been to a restaurant that serves dessert before the main course. This was definitely unique for a place that serves food. I wasn't going to sit there as if the cure to cancer has been found because they serve dessert first; I mowed down my slice of cake. It was like a real lemon was thrown in the cake to make the tart really pop out. The chocolate icing was just there to sweeten your pucker. 

About ten minutes later, I met my main dish, the winter minestrone. It wasn’t large, but I wasn't extremely hungry after enjoying my cake. The soup didn’t look very appealing with some disproportionate cuts to the potato pieces. After examining the soup for a few minutes, I decided to cut to the chase and try some.  I dug in with a spoon and was instantly in heaven. It was like my food had taken my taste buds on a vacation. Definitely a success, I thought to myself. 

While I was feasting on this delicious meal, I could taste pork, white beans, tomatoes, carrots, a hint of parmesan, some sort of kale, all at the same time. I had to look at the menu for a while to name all the ingredients. The broth was some sort of mix of a bean and broth. After asking the server once again, she responded, “it’s beef broth and cannellini beans blended together.” It was an amazing meal overall. I did notice the potatoes were a bit undercooked along with some of the meat. I quickly finished still wanting more but realizing that it would probably still take a another hour to order. Ten minutes later we got the check and left. Fantastic place, but with a few flaws.

Would you believe that this was my house? And that it cost 20 bucks and took an hour for me to make?
You thought this was a restaurant after all.

My House.
3 out of 5 stars

(not telling the location)

No comments:

Post a Comment